One of the great things about Catholicism is that it’s for everyone. It doesn’t matter how old or young you are. It’s appealed to all generations for the past 2000 years!
Here are some of the particular reasons Catholicism works so well for teens:
- It’s a smart religion. What do I mean by this? I mean that Catholic theology (2000 years in the making) is well thought out. We teens like substance, and Catholicism has substance. We don’t want things to be dumbed down. Just because we’re young doesn’t mean we aren’t smart enough to understand complexities of the truth.
- It’s above politics. We teens are young and independent. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like feeling tied down by any one particular political wing. And neither does Catholicism; the Catholic Church gives opinions on issues, not parties. The Church thinks for herself.
- It has Confession. Just like all people, we teens sometimes do stupid things. Through the Catholic sacrament of Reconciliation, we can repent and be forgiven.
- It’s universal. We young people move around a lot. Maybe our family moves. Maybe we go to college. Maybe we land a job somewhere away from home. With all this moving, how ever can we find new churches similar enough to the old one? Well, have no fear, Catholicism is here! Catholic is Catholic is Catholic everywhere you go. Mass is the same. The beliefs are the same. You’re at home in any Catholic church, whether it be in the U.S. or France or the Philippines or China or anywhere!
- It has Saturday Vigil Mass. Getting up early isn’t my forte, so Sunday morning would be painful. But hey, you can get the exact same Mass as Sunday on Saturday evening.
- It has a sense of belonging. We all are looking for an identity, teens especially. In the Catholic Church, you’re part of something big: 2000 years, 1.2 billion followers today worldwide. I guess you could call it a community.